Partitioning

 The subject of partitioning comes up every once in a while.
Generally on my systems at home, I create an extended partition in the
first primary, and create root, home, and possibly /usr/local. At work,
I've been using LVM.  For installfests, I generally shrink down the
Windows partition and create an extended in one of the remaining
primaries. (Windows usually takes up 2 partitions one for Windows, and
another for restores).

I generally don't bother with a dedicated /boot partition, but thee are
some pros and cons. The /boot partition cannot be part of LVM so on LVM
installations you need /boot as a separate partition.  In any cases
there are a number of pros and cons regarding the use of a separate
partition for /boot. One of the major reasons for /boot is that the
GRUB stage 2 must be within the first 1024 cylinders because of the
limitations of the MBR.

Currently, as technology moves forward and disks become faster and more
dense we are still locked to the old technology:

4 Primary partitions - this is a physical limitation of the partition
table.

A maximum of 16 logical partitions. I'm not sure if this is a
limitation imposed by libata or by Windows. I've never been constrained
by this.

At this time, I'm just starting another discussion of how people
partition their home systems. There are a lot of other factors that
affect how systems are going to be used at work and is beyond the scope
here.

So, here is my preferred partitioning scheme with no Windows(either
sda or hda:
/dev/sda1 Extended
/dev/sda5      Logical / (root)
/dev/sda6 Swap
/dev/sda7 Logical /home
On my 160G HD I also have an additional partition whee I keep
downloads, and ISOs. Currently, I don't use a separate /usr/local since
I would prefer to rebuild or reinstall the stuff I use in /usr/local.

In a typical Windows XP or Vista installation at installfests.
Additionally, I either use the Windows resize utility to resize the
partition, QTPated or GNU Parted. I do not use the Distribution's
partitioning. My procedure is to first reduce the size of the Windows
C: partition, then immediately boot into Windows to make sure
everything works.  This way I have a reasonably good chance that the
Linux install does not damage Windows. I then edit /boot/menu.lst to
delete the second Windows boot entry pointing to the D: partition.

/dev/sda1 Primary NTFS Windows C:
                                                        Defragged and
                                                        reduced.
/dev/sda2 Primary NTFS Windows D:
                                                        Normally hidden
/dev/sda3 Extended
/dev/sda5 Logical / (root)
/dev/sda6 Swap
/dev/sda7 Logical /home
These days I generally use ext3 since SuSE has pretty much forsaken
ReiserFS.

--
Jerry Feldman <[hidden email]>
Boston Linux and Unix