[Q] dialin to linux how?

> I am trying to set up a linux box for dial-in from
> the outside world; I am using an external modem
> on COM2 (/dev/ttyS1 [I  think]).
>
> When I dial in, well, nothing much happens.
> In the Serial HOWTO, there is a mention of using DEBUG=777
> with the uuugetty (version 2.0.7d) program,
> so I tried that and got the enigmatic:
>    uugetty[179]: D_RUN: signal set: funcs.c:495
>    uugetty[179]: D_RUN: alarm set: funcs.c:496
>    uugetty[179]: D_INIT: [timed out after 30 seconds]
>    uugetty[179]: D_RUN: signal set: funcs.c:491
>    uugetty[179]: D_INIT: init failed... aborting
> huh?
>
> Dialing out is as easy as falling off a log (maybe easier ;-),
> but this dial-in business has me stumped.
>
> I hope that someone out there has successfully set-up
> a linux box for dial-in; I would greatly appreciate
> details on how people successful got their machines
> to answer the phone.
Robert,
At the BCS, we are running a 2 line server under Linux. We were never able to
get uugetty to work. We use getty_ps. There is a defaults directory in /etc (I
think it is /etc/defaults). where the default initializations are stored.

We also do experience intermittent init failures. We have been advised to
obtain a multi-port serial card rather than use COM1 and COM2. If you still
have some trouble, maybe John Abreau (jabr at cs.umb.edu, jabr at bcs.org) can give
you some assistance. JABR is the person who set up the Linux system at the
BCS. JABR also is on this mailing list which is maintained on a Linux system.
Jerry Feldman            Unix Systems - Development Engineering
Mailstop: ZKO3-3/Y25     DTN:381-2970
Digital Equipment Corp.  EXT:(603)881-2970
110 Spitbrook Rd.        ip(DEC): gaf at zk3.dec.com
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    enet: QUARRY::GAF
                      Internet(HOME):gaf at palantir.newton.ma.us