Third meeting of Northern New England LINUX User's Group

Hi,

The next meeting of the Northern New England LINUX User's Group will be held at
1900 hours (7 P.M. for DOS twinkies) on December 7th (Pearl Harbor Day) in the
Morse Hall Conference Room (#301) at the University of New Hampshire.
Complete directions (with maps, bells and whistles) can be found at:

		http://rccwww.unh.edu/directions/directions.html

For those of you whose cars are not equipped with WWW servers yet, I have
extracted the information and appended it below, but the maps help a lot, so
if you do have web access, you may want to print them out.  Rob Anderson
of the UNH Research Computing Center reserved the room for us and sent the
URL.  Thanks Rob!!

The main topic of the meeting will be a discussion of the different CDROM
distributions available, which ones have which features, and kernel levels
supported on each.  I will lead this discussion, since I have just had
the fortune(?) of having to install a variety of the CDROMS to several machines.
The specific distributions that I will discuss are:

	o Yggdrasil
	o Nascent
	o Red Hat Software
	o Linux System Labs

and perhaps even the newest of releases, the Morse Telecommunications release,
which I have on order.  If anyone has any other experience with any other
distributions, you are more than welcome to add to the discussion.

I will also (once again) troll for volunteers for future presentations.

Also to be discussed, the true name of the group.  Is NNELUG too pretentious?
Are we ever going to have a meeting in Portland, Maine?  Or should we call
ourselves the "Greater New Hampshire Linux User's Group", and just make
ourselves "open" to visitors from Maine, Vermont, etc.

Finally, should we have a slogan?  If we do call ourselves the GNHLUG, perhaps
the slogan should be "Linux: Live Free or Die!!"  Should we have a logo for
our T-shirts (perhaps a picture of Linus Torvald's face replacing the Old
Man of the Mountain?)  A song?  A chapter insect (or bug)?

Finally, people have requested a copy of the mailing list (to date).  That is
included below also.  For those of you in the cc: list, even if you are not
necessarily interested in LINUX, I ask that you distribute it to any people
in the CS departments at Dartmouth, University of Lowell, University of
New Hampshire, and the BCS Linux user's group (John Abreau, I have not
forgotten my promise to get back to you!!)

Jon "maddog" Hall

Minutes of last meeting:
========================

The last meeting was held November 2nd at Digital in Nashua, N.H.  Fifteen
people attended, with twelve of them from Digital.  Unfortunately due to the
last-minute room change, at least one person went to the community center at
the University of New Hampshire, so we missed out on his involvement.

Topics discussed were:

a) Meeting times

It was decided that the weekends were bad days, and would detract from
attendance.  We decided to keep the meetings on the first Wednesday of each
month.

b) Topics of Interest

Both technical talks and talks on "usage" of LINUX were discussed.  General
agreement that both would be of interest.

c) Projects

The concept of "projects" was also discussed, with no greater resolution on
what projects would be initiated than at the first meeting.  People agreed
that it would be a good idea, but could not agree on what projects or when.

d) Introductions

People introduced themselves and told what they did and why they were attracted
to Linux.

e) Where to have meetings:

While most of the people in the room thought that Digital in Nashua was a fine
place to have the meeting, an executive decision was made that perhaps it should
be held at various places on different months, and therefore we are going to
circulate, much like the Northern New England UNIX User's Group does.
University of New Hampshire, Dartmouth, Lowell University and other locations
were mentioned.  The attraction of the Universities is to get greater
involvement from students in the organization.

f) A form was distributed, with a request to have it filled out.  To date
only one person has responded.  The form requested:

"Please send to maddog at zk3.dec.com"

Name:

Address

Telephone

e-mail address

FAX number (if any)

Level of UNIX experience

Areas of expertise

Ideas on what we should be doing.

Would you be willing to:

	Lead a subcommittee?

	Give a talk?

Directions to Morse Hall:

Proceed to University of New Hampshire, on Rt. 155A in Durham, New Hampshire

Coming in from Route 4 you will be entering the town from the west..
Continue past the tennis courts on the right, over the railroad tracks which
run under the road, and go to the first flashing light.  Turn right.

You will pass a road on your right, but keep going.  Eventually you will see
Morse Hall on your left and an after-hours parking lot (F lot) on your
right.  Park in F lot.  Proceed to Morse Hall, across the street.

On the first floor of Morse Hall you can only get into the building from
opposite sides of the building. One door is on the street side, while the
other faces the rest of campus and has only walking access.  Room 301 is
directly above this entrance on the third floor (natch), snuggled between
the elevators and the stairway.

Mailing list:
=============
linux;  maddog at zk3.dec.com,\