No subject

I hope this is a suitable domain for a technical question.  I upgraded
my old 2.5.8 gcc for a new 2.6.2 gcc.  I got the libraries, extras,
binutils, gcc, sources, and basically everything the release notes said
I had to get.  However, I have ended up with two problems.
	1.) When I boot one of the rc.? scripts runs a program
	    /sbin/ldconfig which makes symbolic links between
	    /lib/libfoozle.2.6.7.so and /lib/libfoozle.so for
	    various bindings of "foozle".  This program apparently
	    doesn't know about elf format binaries, and refuses to
	    link to the new library.  I set up the libraries so that
	    they work properly, and commented out the call to ldconfig,
	    but that seems like a slacker solution.  Where can I
	    get a newer copy of ldconfig.  I looked around sunsite.unc.edu
	    in a sort of perfunctory way, but did not find it.
        2.) A more serious problem has to do with linking.  When I link
            some programs I get this error message:

__libc.o(.data+0x0): multiple definition of `_NEEDS_SHRLIB_libc_4'
__libc.o(.data+0x0): first defined here

	    It goes away when I add -static to the link line, so I
	    suspect it is concerned with the shared libraries not being
	    properly configured.  However, I don't know what the
	    problem is.  I seem to recall getting this problem when I
	    upgraded to 2.5.8, but I don't remember how I fixed it
	    then.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

					Peace,
					Bill White
					bwhite at shore.net