Help with X

> Hi there all. I'm trying to figure out what is going on with the
> system I have. It is a Zeos 486, 8M, HD, SVGA, running 1.1.89.
>
> The problem I'm having is when I bring up X I get vertical lines
> drawn on the whole screen. In addition if I move the mouse it
> will leave traces of where it was on the screen. I can do a screen
> refresh to clear it up. The screen will clear up but with the vertical
> lines still on the screen. I can toggle between the different screen
> sizes without any problem. i.e ctrl-alt-+.
>
> Anybody have any ideas? Not enough memory? on the system/video card (1M)?

It would help if you could tell us what version of X you are running, what
X server, what config file, and what video card =)

I ran into the same problem with my old ATI VGAwonder card in 256 color mode
with XFree 2.1... a rewrite of the SVGA driver in 2.1.1 and in the latest
XFree solved the problem.  It's mostly a software problem... reading the dot
clocks of the hardware wrong, etc.  Changing memory shouldn't affect it at all
(assuming the same configuration works under Windows).

In any case make sure you're running the latest version of the correct X
server.

. . . Sean.
-------
Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam; e luce ad tenebras.
Out of ignorance into knowledge; from the light into the darkness.