ideas for linux/unix sig activities

>>> what about a BCS LINUX/UNIX CD-ROM?  Or, a BCS CD-ROM done jointly by
several
>>> groups?  I believe they are not that costly to 'publish' these days and it
>>> would be a nice fund-raiser...
>>>

>We've discussed this in the past. The two primary issues raised:
>
>1. Adding value. Why would someone want to buy our CDROM, as opposed
>   to, for example, the InfoMagic 4-CD set that's available for nine bucks
>   at Micro Center?

If it's a BCS-wide thing it's got the added value of the stuff being
recommended in some sense by folks
who have actually used it.  How much data on those $3 CD-ROMS at Micro
Center has any value?  If it said "BCS" on the front it would make a difference.

There ARE people who will buy something because they know who gets the
profit.  That's why little community groups get away with selling cookbooks
full of the same tuna-fish casarole recipies year after year.

If it's BCS-wide the volunteer pool is larger.

                       Rodney Thayer           ::    rodney at sabletech.com
                       Sable Technology Corp   ::         +1 617 332 7292
                       246 Walnut St           ::    Fax: +1 617 332 7970
                       Newton MA 02160 USA     ::    PGP:    request sig.
                              "Developers of communications software"