Let's get the word out

Greetings,

I was very pleased to see the turnout at last night's feature presentation.
Filling up 500 seats at a meeting was far beyond what I had envisioned for
our group.  Thanks to all of you who have helped pitch in and get things
rolling.

This meeting was significantly more technical than expected, as well, and
could well put the BCS on a whole new track.  It's entirely possible to
build this group into the premier Boston-area organization for technical
expertise in the field of operating systems development.  With this
recognition, finally one of my own hopes can be accomplished:  to get
vendors to pay attention to Microsoft alternatives, and to see that
investments in products and personnel to support this market are worthwhile.

Our regular organizers' meetings, to plan publicity and future events,
are held in Boston's Back Bay the second Tuesday of each month.  We
have decided to hold a special meeting to tap into the enthusiasm
generated by last night's presentation, and it's expected that
attendance will exceed the capacity of our regular organizers' meeting
room.  So the meeting next week will be at:

  101 First Avenue
  Waltham
  7pm, Wed, 24-May-95

This is the BCS resource center, located about a half mile from the
Totten Pond Road exit off Route 128.  Landmarks are the Embassy Suites
hotel and a newly-built Home Depot; it's across from Prospect Hill
office park.  No useful mass transit is available, so write to
linux-sig-admin at bcs.org for carpooling.

Put your thinking cap on and consider what we might do next:

  - Identify among your acquaintances speakers with interesting stories
     to tell at our general meetings
  - Build a meaningful Internet presence at the Resource Center
  - Hold regular seminars to help new people out with Linux, and to
     get some of us old-timers to understand the technology better
  - Work with retail stores to make Linux/Unix more visible, and provide
     more literature/software for it
  - Get involved in beta-trial programs from hardware/software companies
  - Get out and speak at and help organize chapters and/or other groups
     (examples:  the New Hampshire users group mentioned last night;
     Virtually Wired, a Boston public-access project; the CPSR; etc.)
  - Recruit more members to the BCS by providing useful benefits like
     newsletters, www services, etc.
  - Hold functions at K-12 schools
  - [This space reserved for your ideas]

See you on the 24th!