[HELP] What are QMAGIC and ZMAGIC ???

Hi.

I think I asked this question here already, but since I didn't get any

I'm currently running Slackware 2.3 on a 386DX along with the latest
kernel (1.2.8).

No matter what kernel I've used, nor what version of Slackware (2.1, 2.2, 2.3),
any pre-compiled program I've FTPed (minus the Slackware distribution), has
not worked on my system.

If I try to run Netscape or Mosaic, I get an Incompatible Architecture error.
If I do a 'file' on it, I get a response that it is a Linux/i386 ZMAGIC
file, not stripped.

But, for the programs I've successfully compiled and run, doing a 'file'
produces that it is a Linux/i386 QMAGIC file, not stripped.

So, what's the difference between Q and ZMagic, and why might the pre-compiled
programs not run on my 386DX as ZMAGIC?

Is there a way to convert them to QMAGIC?

I haven't tried them, though, on my 486SX laptop, on which I have a feeling
they will work.

Any help?

Thanks.

BCS Member #105816 :-)  (I rejoined recently due to the Linux Group).

Scott Ehrlich, E-mail: wy1z at neu.edu, Web: http://lynx.neu.edu:8000/~sehrlich
Boston ARC ftp archives: ftp oak.oakland.edu /pub/hamradio
Boston ARC Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc.html
ARRL Web page: http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/arrl.html