eth0 (now found)

> On Thu, 29 Jun 1995, Jim Sherwood wrote:
>
> > Date: Thu, 29 Jun 1995 02:34:30 EST
> > From: Jim Sherwood <jim at sherwood.mv.com>
> > To: linux-sig at bcs.org
> >
> > I did the netconfig for setting up my IP, route and nameserver
> > software stuff in LINUX.  However, upon bootup I get
> > the following messages:
> >
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
> > SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
> > SIOCADDTR: Network is unreachable
> > SIOCADDTR: Network is unreachable
> >
> > I have noticed that in my /dev directory I do not
> > have any eth? devices.  Any advice?
> >

> I get the same thing on my TI notebook running Linux. I did netconfig too.
> Of course, the reason is no ethernet port and network being available.
> +  ray at tezcat.com
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks to the advice of some knowledgable folks, I rebuilt the kernel and
ensured that my ne2000 driver was part of the configuration.  Upon
rebooting with the new kernel, I now have eth0 working fine.  I
foolishly assumed that the kernel on the InfoMagic 4-CD distribution
had all the networking stuff in there.  I can now mount my sbpcd, too.
I was using 1.2.1 but ftp'd the 1.2.11 kernel and made that one.

BTW, I tried to build a 1.3.4 kernel but had a reference error in the
making with ppp.o .  Anyone else experience that one?  I will try
1.3.5 tonight!  I want to use that IP tunneling stuff :^) .

Jim
jim at sherwood.mv.com
jas at enteprise.uml.edu