Linux Problem?

First, you will have to refresh my memory (i.e. I lost the original
message) about such details as what is the hardware on your system,
which linux distribution you used and what kernel you are using.
(No promises, but I need a bit more information to make
another try).

> /etc, /etc/termcap, /etc/utmp, /etc/wtmp all exist.
> Permissions are:
> rw-r--r-- for all files in the directory; is that correct?
Hmmm...
On my system built from Slackware 2.1, I have the following:

drwxr-xr-x  for /etc
-rw-r--r--  for /etc/termcap
lrwxrwxrwx  for /etc/utmp  -> soft link to /var/adm/utmp
lrwxrwxrwx  for /etc/wtmp  -> soft link to /var/adm/wtmp

Is this what you meant?

> Are there any
> lines that I may need to change in the /etc/termcap file?
> I've tried
> changing several things but it doesn't do anything
>  ...still says "Unknown  terminal type con80x25"

Evidently the "Unknown terminal..." message is part of
the "curses" library, and on my system all this curses
terminal information is stored in /usr/lib/terminfo
In particular con80x25 lies in /usr/lib/terminfo/c/.

>  or "Who are you? (unable to look up login name"
>  "Cannot find mail for user ubulit." Any other ideas?

I assume that these are error messages from
the "mail" program, which may have been called indirectly
through the login program.
"ubulit" seems to be one of those
snide defaults that indicate that the "mail" program
cannot determine who you are.
Unfortunely, I do not have "mail" source code handy.

Again, I am curious as to how you built the system.
Something seems to be missing or incorrect,
but it is hard (at this point) to tell what.

robert j luoma     <pussycat at world.std.com>