(fwd) Fiber-optics cut this afternoon

FYI... Our net connection was down yesterday due  to another Sprint problem.

------- Forwarded Message
From: Rich Braun <richb at pioneer.ci.net>
To: pioneer-announce at pioneer.ci.net
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 20:55:51 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: (fwd) Fiber-optics cut this afternoon

According to Sprint, a fiber-optics cable in Fort Worth was damaged in an
accident this afternoon; this affected all their subscribers who are
connected via the fw-3 router.  The symptom is a high packet loss rate
(over 50%) on the T1 between our upstream connection at Channel 1 and the
Sprint router in Fort Worth.  It will likely take a few more hours to
finish splicing the cable.

Just last week we finally installed another T1 via a third carrier, so
we will soon be able to route around failures like these.  At present,
we use BBN Planet's network for internal web service, domain name service,
Usenet, and backup mail forwarding; and we use Sprint for customer routing.

Internally, our routers have maintained continuous connectivity for
the past 33 weeks.  We look forward to providing ever-improving service.

- -rich

------- End of Forwarded Message