Linux Boot Problem (Triton PCI based MB)

    Hi,

    I am currently having problems with installation/booting of
    Slackware Professional Linux v2.3 while loading the RAMDISK (i.e.
    Child xxx died with code ff00).  Has anyone successfully got LINUX
    to work on a ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 Triton based PCI board?  If so,
    what version of Linux?  Is there anything particular I should be
    wary of?  I have had no problems with DOS/Windows for Workgroups
    3.11 or Windows 95.

    System:
    Pentium 100 w/ASUS PCI/I-P54TP4 (Triton Chipset/256K cache)
    BIOS version 1.03
    Panasonic 4x IDE CD ROM
    16 MB EDO Ram
    1.2 Gig Western Digital HD (Mode 3)
    Stealth 64 VRAM Video PCI with 2MB VRAM
    Integrated I/O with 4 HDD support (2 Channel IRQ 14/15)
    Logitech Soundman Wave
        (Sound Blaster Pro Compatible/Wave Table Midi)
    Monochrome Card (for debugging)
    3Com Etherlink II (ethernet/BNC-3C503 8-bit)

    Error occurs under the following conditions:

    1) Using 'idecd' boot image (also occurs with generic ide boot
    image)

    2) Use ramdisk hda=2484,16,63 hdc=cdrom

    If I just use default settings (i.e. don't specify ramdisk) it
    only finds my hard drive.  In either case, I still have problem.

    3) Upon loading the ramdisk, things appear to be fine until it
    starts to get 'Child xxxx died with code ff00' errors after the
    'RAMDISK: Loading 1440 blocks into Ram Disk' message.  I believe
    the XXXX values start around 5000 and continue.

    4) The only strange thing I seem to notice in boot up is the
    following:

    'Unknown PCI Device PCVendor id=3 PC Device Id = 88F0' Contact
    potter at cao-VLSI.IBP.FR with /PROC/PCI

    This however is just a warning and things continue fine until
    RAMDISK problem.

    5) I also plan on using the 'umsds144' root disk but I never get
    that far.

    Thanks,
    Guy Kellam
    gkellam at us.oracle.com