Forwarded message: request for help

   > When I rebooted from a backup floppy, the boot and hardware checks
   > went ok - Linux 1.3.4 loaded ok from the disk but I got this error -
   >
   > EXT2-fs error (device 8/1): ext2_check_descriptors: Inode bitmap for
   > group 20 not in group (block 131079)!
   > EXT2-fs group descriptors corrupted.
   >
   > MSDOS Beta 0.6 (compatibility level 0.4, fast msdos)
   > Mounting root
   > VFS: Mounted root (umsdos filesystem) readonly
   >
   > The system hangs there.

Geoff Wrote:
   Well, I have a suggestion, but I can't guarentee anything...

   Try booting off the boot/root slackware disks.
   Once you are in the system, try mounting your troubled disk r/o...
   If this works you can Back up your important stuff.  And maybee try
   running fsck manually...

   I hope this works...

Yes, that is just how I recovered my files, but eventually the disk
fried.  My disk was about 4 years old.  I suspect the reason it went
was because the system was a 386-33 and had only about 8meg.  I was
using it to build/run a couple of very memory intensive applications.
I suspect too much page falting overworked the disk.

		Dan Demus.
		dan at paragon.com