Autochanger/Backups on Unix

adrian wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 a> Cheyenne Arcserve	Crashes my systems

It crashes everybody else's system, too.

 a> Arcada Backup Exec	Doesnt do incrementals

Are you sure about this?  I've found them to have an excellent product.

 a> EST's BRU		May or may not handle the autochanger properly
 a> ctar			May or may not handle the autochanger properly
 a> Alexandria		Never heard of anyone using this
 a> Palindrome		NOVELL!!!!
 a> Roadrunner		Dubious autochanger support
 a> PDC Budtool		Possibility
 a> Legato			Expensive!

 a> 	I have a PC (which I can put *anything* on) with which to
 a> do this. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

GNU tar has the ability to run a script when changing the volume of a
multi-volume backup.  The syntax is "... -M -F <scriptfilename>".  If you can
make a script that changes the tape, which ought to be fairly easy, this is all
you really need.

-- Mike