Linux question

> >> Hi John,
> >>
> >>  I saw your How-To-Clinic meeting next Wed. in the BCS Journal and
> >>  was wondering if you could advice me on something.
> >>
> >>  I need to set up Linux on my PC for a class I'm taking.  Is
> >>  it possible to repartition my drive without wiping out what is
> >>  presently on my system? I have a new Pentium that came preinstalled
> >>  with Windows95.  I am going to install the InfoMagic Linux.
> >>  Do you know of any software that allows one to repartition the disk
> >>  without erasing what is already on it?
> >>
> >> Thanks in advance for any info you may have on this problem,
> >>
> >> Cynthia Baird
> >> ccb at tiac.net
>
> I've heard of a utility called FIPS that is supposed to do something like that
> for DOS/Windows, but I'm not sure if that would work with Windows 95.
> Perhaps your safest bet would be to get a second hard drive for Linux,
> or to plan on reinstalling Windows 95 after partitioning (although if it
> was preinstalled, I'd guess the vendor didn't provide the original
> installation disks)
I have used FIPS successfully several times. FIPS modifies the partition table
allowing you to shrink existing partitions on your hard drive. There are a few
caveats. For a DOS/Windows 3.1 system, you should first use the DOS defrag
program (in full optimize mode). This will move all the bits toward the
beginning of the partition. The FIPS docs are pretty clear on this. Windows 95
is a bit different since its defragmenter likes to place some files toward the
end of the partition also. You might try to boot up in DOS mode, and use the
DES defragmenter. It behooves you to back up your partition. The best solution
is to install a second hard drive to put Linux on.
Jerry Feldman            Unix Systems - Development Engineering
Mailstop: ZKO3-3/Y25     (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970,
Digital Equipment Corp.  ip(DEC): gaf at zk3.dec.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        enet: QUARRY::GAF
Nashua, NH 03062-9987
Member Boston Computer Society BOD : gaf at bcs.org