dip connections

   From: cnoyes at maui.webo.dg.com (Chuck Noyes)

   I'm trying (and actually succeeded) in getting a dip
   connection to tiac over a 28.8 line. However, not all
   things work. I can ping remote nodes successfully as well
   as running nslookup. The problem is with ftp, telnet, and
   the latest beta 2.01b of Netscape.

If you can ping a node (by address, not DNS name), then the routing
for that address must be right.  When you say FTP doesn't work, are
you using addresses or names?  If nslookup looks up addresses but all
other applications fail to access hosts by name, perhaps
/etc/resolv.conf is wrong -- nslookup does *not* use the standard DNS
resolver library (if I remember correctly).

Dale

Dale Worley						worley at world.std.com
--
Finally, I'll offer eight opinions that computer scientists who venture into
the real world should consider: