two ethernet cards in a linux box

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995, Rodney Thayer wrote:

> I do Unix drivers for a living (among other things).  I've had my "faint of
> heart" genes surgically removed.  I read the howto.  I tried entering
> several different commands lines.  I'm one of those people who hit others
> over the head with a big bat labelled RTFM so I'm actually fairly paranoid
> about doing that myself first.  I was not able to do it, and got to the
> point of deciding that touching the code was the least-outrageous thing to
> do to get it working.

 I've configured one of our main Linux servers with three 3c509 cards so
 that it can be local to three of the subnets it serves. All I did to
 activate >1 card was add the following to the global section of lilo.conf:

  append="mem=128M ether=0,0,eth0 ether=0,0,eth1 ether=0,0,eth2"

 Naturally, you've also got to ifconfig them somewhere in rc*.
 Since we only use 3c509's, I don't know if this works for the NE2000 driver.

--
 stewart allen (stewart at oec.com)