Follow-up on the my hard-disk problem

Hi,

This is a follow-up on our hard-disk problem posted last week.
Briefly, our no-name PC had Disk Manager program in its hard-disk boot
sector, which we had to get rid of, and upon boot-up in Linux (from
floppy), the kernel detected the hard-disk, but could not access the
partition table (but fdisk could get to the partition table and write
to it).  We fiddled around with the BIOS setting, changing from 1416
cylinders/16 heads to 708 cylinders/32 heads, and did the same under
fdisk, and then combinations of various settings.  Albert Cahalan (who
had the same type of hard disk) was kind enough to send me a copy of
his boot sector image, which I copied to our hard disk.  I also tried
doing the same thing using the boot sector of another hard disk on
another machine (which was running Linux just fine).

Nothing worked.  Yesterday, after all the frustration, finally
success!  It turned out that I had to recompile the kernel, and in
"make config", say yes to

	use old disk-only driver for primary i/f (CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD)

(The BIOS is set at 708 cylinders/32 heads).  Now the kernel
recognizes

Well, one problem solved.  The next problem we are dealing with is the
SCSI CD-ROM drive.  It is an NEC 4X CD-ROM attached to a NEC 16-bit AT
SCSI Host Adapter.  I have thrown in almost every SCSI driver from the
kernel: in "make config" of the kernel, I have

#
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CDrom)
#
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=y

#
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set

#
# SCSI low-level drivers
#
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA274X=y
CONFIG_SCSI_BUSLOGIC=y
CONFIG_SCSI_EATA_DMA=y
CONFIG_SCSI_U14_34F=y
CONFIG_SCSI_FUTURE_DOMAIN=y
CONFIG_SCSI_GENERIC_NCR5380=y
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx=y
CONFIG_SCSI_IN2000=y
CONFIG_SCSI_PAS16=y
CONFIG_SCSI_QLOGIC=y
CONFIG_SCSI_SEAGATE=y
CONFIG_SCSI_T128=y
CONFIG_SCSI_ULTRASTOR=y
CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST=y

#
# Network device support
#
# CONFIG_NETDEVICES is not set

No SCSI host was detected upon boot-up, and trying to mount /dev/scd0
and /dev/scd1 both failed.  By the way, the SCSI AT adapter is set
with I/O address 0x350 and BIOS ROM Address 0xC8000, and the IRQ is
12.  We also have a 3com ethernet board, and that works fine.  (We
didn't include it in the kernel, but it did work under another kernel
that did include the network device support).

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.

Sidney Li
Polaroid Corp.
lih at polaroid.com