(fwd) LOCAL: Washington DC Linux User Group meeting and Python talk

From: przemek at rrdjazz.nist.gov (Przemek Klosowski)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: LOCAL: Washington DC Linux User Group meeting and Python talk
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 95 22:28:10 GMT

The December meeting of Washington DC Linux user group will take place
on Wednesday, December 20, 1995, at 7pm, at the Lippsett auditorium
at NIH (see directions below).

This month, Guido van Rossum, who is visiting in DC from Netherlands,
will talk about the Python language. Guido invented Python as an
improvement on other scripting languages by introducing
object-oriented features. In a word, Python combines Perl 5.x's
OO approach with Tcl's extensibility.

TITLE: An Introduction to the Python Programming Language,
       With a Detour to the Grail Browser

ABSTRACT:

       Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented
       programming language, which is considered by many a step up
       from Tcl or Perl.  Python's syntax is elegant and clutter-free,
       and encourages short but readable programs.  At the same time,
       Python's class and module concepts support the construction of
       large programs as well.  Python has very high level data types
       that also help to relieve the programmer's burden.  Python is
       extensible with modules written in C or C++, and comes with a
       comprehensive library which includes system calls as well as
       GUI interfaces.  It has been ported to most Unix platforms,
       Windows, and Macintosh, and best of all, it is completely free.
       For more info, see http://www.python.org/.

       Grail is an extensible Internet browser written in Python.  It
       allows downloading of Python code ("applets") to enhance the
       interactivity of web pages, and can be extended with Python
       modules to support new protocols, file types or HTML tags.  For
       more info, see http://monty.cnri.reston.va.us/grail-0.2/.

  Greetings, and see you at the meeting

			przemek klosowski (przemek at rrdstrad.nist.gov)
			Reactor Division (bldg. 235), E111
			Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA

			(301) 975 6249

PS I enclose the meeting dates for next year (1996); please
mark your calendars.

	January  17
	February 21
	March    20
	April    17
	May      15
	June     19
	July     17
	August   21
	September 18
	October  16
	November 20
	December 18

All meetings are scheduled in Lippsett auditorium of the National
Institutes of Health; see our home page,

	http://dcpages.ari.net/dclinux/dclinux.html.

BIG PICTURE:

   to Frederick                to Baltimore & NYC
        \  \
         I-270                       / /
          \  \                      / /
Gaithersburg  \                    I-95
            \  Rockville          / /
            |  |                 / /
             \  ==I-495 beltway=/ /
             //                  \\
            //                    \\
            ||     Washington      ||
            ||         DC          ||
        Fairfax                    ||
             ||                   //
              \\                 //
                =================

NIH AND VICINITY

                 Rockville Pike
 I-270 spur        (Rte 355)
    \     \__________|____|_________________
     \
     /                       I-495 Beltway
    /      /---------|----|-----------------
                   Wisconsin Ave
                     |    |
                     |    |
                     |    |
                     |    |
 Cedar Lane =========     |   Bldg. 10 is the huge NIH hospital
               |     |    |   complex.  There is some parking
     West Dr.->|     |    |   just to the north of it, off West Dr.
               |     |    |   as well as in the underground garage.
           Bldg 10   |    |   Lippsett auditorium is located on the
                     |    |   left side of the main entrance hall.
      South Drive ===     |
                     |    |
         M   Medical Center
            (Red Metro Line)

Those with Mosaic/Gopher can retrieve the NIH site map via

   http://www.nih.gov   or   gopher://gopher.nih.gov

in "NIT/Bethesda Campus Info" / "NIH maps and photos" branch

- --
			przemek klosowski (przemek at nist.gov)
			Reactor Division (bldg. 235), E111
			Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA

			(301) 975 6249

Finger wirzeniu at kruuna.helsinki.fi for PGP key needed for validating signature.
Send submissions for comp.os.linux.announce to: linux-announce at news.ornl.gov

Guy Bzibziak	*  "Walk! Not bloody likely. I am going in a taxi."
Boston, MA USA	*  - Pygmalion, by G. B. Shaw
Internet:   guybz at world.std.com 	Compuserve: 71561,1703
Voice# (Days Only): 617-536-5200 	FAX# (Days Only): 617-536-0394