ISP

I'm using a POP system (provider is TIAC).  I've begun to look at setting up a cron job
to do that; also to connect up my box for (eg) 5 min every hour while I'm not home, to allow
me to reach it from work.

Basic idea is that it would be you, not the provider, who initiates the call, bu
it can be done automatically at preset intervals.