(fwd) NEW ENGLAND SGML USER GROUP MEETING

From: Susan Ryan <susan.ryan at hensel.com>
Newsgroups: comp.text.sgml
Subject: NEW ENGLAND SGML USER GROUP MEETING
Date: 24 Jan 1996 22:56:52 GMT

NEW ENGLAND SGML USER GROUP MEETING

Date:          February 20, 1996
Agenda:        1:00 pm Registration and Introduction
               1:30 pm Main Presentation and Q&A
               3:00 pm Product Demos.
Location:      OSF (Open Software Foundation)
               11 Cambridge Center
               Cambridge, Mass.
               (See the OSF Home Page at
                http://www.osf.org/general/osf-info.html
                for detailed directions to OSF.)
Topic:         HTML as an SGML Application
Speaker:       Dan Connolly

The HTML 2.0 specification, RFC1866, defines an SGML application and an
Internet media type. The specification notes that extensions are
planned, but only the text/html; level=2 Internet media type and the
"-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN" document type are defined. This document
suggests the use of URIs as system identifiers for document type
definitions, allowing decentralized evolution of the language. The use
of marked sections as a transition technique and the continued use of
the level mechanism for standardized points in the evolution path are
discussed.

ABOUT OUR SPEAKER:
Dan discovered the web project soon after graduating U.T. Austin while
he was at Convex. His industry experience in online documentation tools,
distributed computing, and information delivery kept him in touch with
the project while he was at Dazel and HaLSoft.

His background in formal systems led him to work on the specification of
HTML and other parts of the web.

Please let us know if you will be attending:
__I plan to attend the February 20th meeting.

__I cannot attend the February 20th meeting but would like to be
notified of future meetings.

     The best way to reach me is via:
        __email. My address is__________________________
                 OR
        __Surface mail. My address is________________________

Guy Bzibziak	*  "Walk! Not bloody likely. I am going in a taxi."
Boston, MA USA	*  - Pygmalion, by G. B. Shaw
Internet:   guybz at world.std.com 	Compuserve: 71561,1703
Voice# (Days Only): 617-536-5200 	FAX# (Days Only): 617-536-0394