What to see and do at Linuxcon

>  Mike Bilow wrote:
>
> It is not the dues I have problems with.  It is the absence of a mission.  When
> you could simply round up people in a room because they had a common interest
> in computers, and discussion could concern soldering technique, the BCS did not
> so much require a formal mission.  Now these odd toys are in every office and
> in many homes, they are sold at Lechmere, and the BCS is bewildered.
>
> I am really appalled by the idea of turning the Megameeting over to a
> professional trade show producer.  I go to that crap all the time.  My God, I
> even had free passes to "E-Mail World" a couple of months ago!  We do not need
> yet another one of these things.  The BCS should not be in the business of
> playing a captive audience.
>
> I do not have all the answers, but I can see that commercializing BCS like this
> is a serious mistake.  Perhaps the proper business model is the non-profit
> Consumers Union, which publishes Consumer Reports.  Turning the Megameeting
> into a brand-name and selling it is the beginning of the end.  I expect that
> the Linux group, if no one else, would understand this.
There are some issues that do need to be addressed. Megameeting is not my
issue. Actually, I would prefer that something like that be almost exclusively
volunteer. What is really happening is that the BCS is shifting from its
traditional roots as a volunteer organization with staff people to support the
volunteers, to a more classic non-profit model. There is some good and bad in
this. The bad is that the volunteers that deliver virtually all the services
of the BCS are not altogether pleased. On the positive side, volunteers tend
to be unreliable. We (eg. us volunteers) create a "service". Then, that
service becomes popular. The lead volunteers get burned out, and decide to
leave with noone ready to take over. Members who used that service get upset
because their BCS is the one that delivers that service. What a professional
staff can do is to ensure coordination, and try to maintain the service. The
contention comes when the staff decides how the volunteers must run that
service. In the case of this mailing list, for instance, staff might decide
that the list me moderated, and off topic descussions like this are to be
suppressed. IMHO, there needs to be a balance. It is the volunteers that bring
skills, enthusiasm, and knowlege to the services like BBS, mailing lists, user
group meetings. It is staff that manages the fixed facilities and equipment
that is shared between the user groups. The BOD has some very difficult
decisions ahead. Membership in user groups in general is declining. We need to
really chart our course. The decisions will be painful. There are many people
out there who badmouth the BOD for being jerks and out of touch. The bottom
line is that decisions must be made. If we revert to the traditional model, we
will shed some really good services. We are providing training courses to
schools systems for teacher certification. The public service programs have
some costs that come out of dues, but there are some revenue streams. We also
get grants.

--- I appologise to the linux comminity for the harrangue.

Jerry Feldman            Unix Systems - Development Engineering
Digital Equipment Corp.  gaf at zk3.dec.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-3/Y25
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970
Member Boston Computer Society BOD : gaf at bcs.org