Using various quad speed IDE CDROMs, e.g. Toshiba XM-540[12]Bs or

Andrew M. Simms wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 AMS> Linux doesn't seem to want to recognize the presense of my
 AMS> Toshiba XM-5402B, which is
 AMS> allegedly a standard ATAPI CDROM drive.  My AMI Bios from
 AMS> July 95 recognizes it as an ATAPI
 AMS> CDROM, but linux seems to just ignore it.  I am running
 AMS> redhat 2.1.   Is there something
 AMS> special about newer IDE CDROMs that needs to be done?

Do you have it wired on the primary or secondary IDE channel?  Is the drive set
as master or slave on its channel, and is there another drive on the same
channel?  Linux is more particular than DOS about making sure all of the specs
are observed.

-- Mike