self-extractor?

   From: Rodney Thayer <rodney at sabletech.com>

   does anyone know of a self-extracting tool for the Unix world?  I want to
   create an executable that does the same sort of thing as self-extracing ZIP
   or ARJ archives do in the PC world.

The traditional way to do that is with "shell archives", which are
usually created with a program named "shar".  Check for it on your
system.

But a usually better technique is to bundle the files into a "tar"
file, and let the user do the extracting, since "tar" format is very
portable, but it is difficult to create "shell archives" that work
exactly correctly on all of the dozens of versions of Un*x.

Dale
--
Dale R. Worley					Ariadne Internet Services
Voice: +1 617-899-7949   Fax: +1 617-899-7946	E-mail: worley at ariadne.com
"Internet-based electronic commerce solutions to real business problems."