PGP software products

Rich Braun <richb at pioneer.ci.net> wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 RB> My company seems to have become the default ISP for a lot of
 RB> law firms wanting low-cost email.  Mostly they've pretty
 RB> much ignored the legal implications of email itself, but I'm
 RB> now getting beat up by one of the larger firms which wants
 RB> us to help them ensure email confidentiality through our
 RB> internal site management policy.

 RB> I've assured them that email is *not* confidential and that
 RB> their clients should be told to submit routine confidential
 RB> correspondence by other means.

 RB> I'd like to tell them to use PGP.  But I'm not aware of any
 RB> convenient (for the average butter-fingered attorney or
 RB> clerk), low-cost PGP-enabled email packages for desktop
 RB> environments (read: Windows boxes hooked up to a Novell
 RB> cc:Mail network, in 99% of cases).  Any suggestions?  I
 RB> could conceivably run some encryption software and a public
 RB> key server at our site on a Linux box, which would provide a
 RB> modicum of improved confidentiality vs. having to install
 RB> new client software everywhere.  Wondering if there's anyone
 RB> here who has actually been able to make real use of PGP,
 RB> especially in the context of helping novice users put it to
 RB> work.

I can put you in touch with someone who was working on PGP-enabling for
Pegasus, which is a freeware mail system commonly used in connection with
NetWare MHS networks.  I do not know the current status of that project.

ViaCrypt, of course, sells their commercial version of PGP, and you might be
able to get some help from them.  Lotus has long been a licensee of RSA, and
they do have encryption facilities in their Notes products.  Integration of
Notes and cc:Mail is an issue at Lotus, as you may know.

-- Mike