Help with formatting Western Digital Drive for Linux

vcocco wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 v> I'm about to reformat my 1gb drive and will reinstall
 v> Windows95 and also  add Linux. I realize that Linux, like
 v> DOS, needs to boot below cylinder  #1024 on my drive.

 v> Is there a way of finding out what cylinder number I'm at
 v> when I go to  set my partition sizes so I know that I've got
 v> Linux below the 1024 limit?

 v> Some specifics about my drive:

 v> Cavier AC3100   2100 cyliners,  16 Heads, 63 Sectors, LZ=0.
 v> No write precomp.

 v> Any help would be most appreciated.

Sure.  With 16 heads and 63 sectors per track, you get 1008 sectors per
cylinder.  At 512 bytes per sector, this is 516096 bytes per cylinder, which is
just slightly less than a half megabyte.

Either take the ending relative sector and divide by 1008 or take the ending
relative byte and divide by 516096 to get the ending relative cylinder.

-- Mike