uucp and preserving Reply-to: how?

Lar Kaufman wrote:
> A solution used by some mailhosts is to support the % character, suppressing
> resolution of any other part of the address until one or the other side of
> the % is used as the forwarding address.  The next site then deals with the
> now "normal" address for its network.  However, implementation of this
> seems to be also undefined.

I'd like some help fixing the mixed-mode addressing.  Two years ago I
had to upgrade from IDA sendmail, which wrote headers on UUCP mail
correctly, to the UCB sendmail because of ongoing security enhancements.
Eric Allman, maintainer of the UCB version, responded to my requests for
help but basically wasn't interested in fixing anything related to UUCP.

Some of the BBS software packages now on the market interact with our UUCP
mail host to cause the following type of header:

  From: host!user at pioneer.ci.net

instead of

  From: user at host.com

Last month we lost a major account over this; a very important business
woman who had purchased a BBS setup.  Having us point the finger at the
BBS was no help, but because she was buying UUCP and not a leased line or
consulting help, we couldn't take the time out to fix the problem.  (My
company only has 5 employees and we've always got a several-week work
backlog which tends to focus on high-capacity corporate leased lines, not
$50 UUCP accounts even if sold to billionaires...)

If you know how to fix this (not just tinker to see if it can be fixed),
I'll hire you to come in and do it.

-rich