bsd_comp.c & ppp

Hi

I'm trying to get ppp to work with my 1.2.13 kernel on a 386. Right now I'm
having some difficulties with the modules part. I downloaded and have
extracted the pppd2.2.0f [I think that's the right numbering] package, and
followed directions &c. But I've hit a wall.

When I run /sbin/depmod -a it gives me a message saying that depndency not
found on bsd_comp.o and on de4x5.o. I think I'll just bail on the de4x5
since it is a digital ethernet adapter that I will [most likely] never need
to run. But the bsd compression module is important to ppp.

The failure [I think] comes from this line:
#include <linux/netprotocol.h>
[but maybe I should be looking for something in addition to #include statements]

which is included in a
#ifdef SK_BUFF
statement

My query, in a nutshell, then, would go as follows:
what does SK_BUFF refer to and how can I find if it is defined for my
system? [watch gcc calls from make and look for -DSK-BUFF?]
should I just comment this out?
where can I get netprotocol.h? [it's not on my system- or in the LSM]
would strace /sbin/depmod -a let me know where the dependency chain breaks?

So, if anyone can help with information or pointes, I would be grateful. Thanks.
\jsaylor