linux group idea

Hi Mark,

I'm glad you were "presumptious." <s> I've got Red Hat Linux up and working
(sort of, anyway) .... along with keeping my Win95. . . . I wanted to be
able to do Unix based Perl, plus learn more about Unix. I had joined the
Linux mailing list, hoping to lurk and find out whether there were any
others relatively new to Linux.

Repartitioning my hard drives was pretty scarey (I cleaned up first with
Clean Sweep, and then used Partition Magic). The only thing I ever did
worse than that was pull the cpu chip on an AT to upgrade to a 386 above
board (it felt like doing a heart transplant!).

IMHO, the only reason my computer is still alive and working today is
because I studied Mat Welsh's Guide to Installing Linux (avaialable
on-line) along with trying to figure out what the heck they were talking
about in the Red Hat manual. I will probably go out and by Mat Welsh's
"Using Linux" (or maybe someone else has a recommendation). The man pages
are kinda Greek. . . . I've got my printer and Xwindows working, but I can
only get at the CD ROM in a real klugy way, and my boot process is yuchy
too. + I want to be able to log on to the Net from Linux. (and finally go
get Perl 5.002).

Nora