Notes from Wednesday's meeting

Rich Braun wrote:
> The group still offers plenty of benefits to MIT, and I believe there
> are Linux/Unix group members who are part of the MIT community.  If
> there is concern in this area, we should do a visibility drive on
> campus.

I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to increase our visibility as much
as we can.

> A concern I have is that there is a concerted stampede toward NT away
> from Unix by the corporate community.  If the academic community joins this
> stampede, it may be very difficult to maintain a Unix-focused user group in
> the short-term future.

What do you suggest we do to deal with this? I agree that the corporate
arena seems to be moving like lemmings towards NT (Neutered Technology),
and we'll have to address this sad situation somehow.

> This mailing list is still hosted on a BCS-owned computer on a
> BCS-supplied network link.  My company has offered to host the web
> site and DNS under the name www.blu.ci.net, but we still need a
> volunteer to take over this mailing list before it goes dark.  Anyone
> with a Linux box, a PPP/T1 or UUCP link, a commitment to daily
> updates and responsiveness, and a working knowledge of Majordomo or
> equivalent list server software can accomplish the task (yours truly
> is burned out on list management...)

I'm still looking around for a box we could locate at Pioneer to
maintain
the BLU presence. A basic Pentium or 486 with SCSI disks and a decent
amout of memory would do the job.

I'll be backing up all the Linux systems at BCS, and I'll be able to
restore all the lists and other services on a new system fairly easily.

John Abreau :: Unix Systems Administrator :: jabr at necx.com
NECX :: 4 Technology Drive :: Peabody, MA 01960
Voice: (508) 538-8425