Linux/Unix Group structure

Rodney Thayer wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

> You want to have meetings and teach classes.  Many facilities
> are perfectly willing to donate space to do such things, but
> will require that your organization have some legal status such
> as incorporation and insurance.  My amateur radio club, for
> example, cannot even use state land such as parks without proof
> of insurance, although the state does not charge a fee.  When
> we set up informational booths in shopping malls, the only
> condition is that we provide proof of insurance.  When we held
> a flea market in the gymnasium of a private school, all they
> wanted was proof of insurance.

 RT> sorry if this got asked before, but just how much was the
 RT> insurance and what is it insurance against?

In the case of the amateur radio club, it is a general commercial liability
policy and costs us about $340 per yer for $2 million coverage.  We buy it as
part of a group coordinated by the national association of radio amateurs, the
American Radio Relay League.

The policy protects us and those who provide services to us -- schools,
churches, shopping malls, fire departments, etc. -- against any ordinary
liability incurred in consequence of our usual and customary activities.  For
example, if someone is electrocuted at our classes or flea markets, we're
covered if they or their survivors sue us.

Even if someone slips and falls walking into the school building where we hold
our classes, the school expects us to assume the liability in that case through
our insurer.  This is only fair, since we are being allowed the use of the
facility for no charge, and the school administrators are unwilling to assume
such a significant risk out the goodness of their hearts.

In the case of the use of state parks land, we were setting up a "Field Day"
campsite for outdoor operation simulating emergency conditions; this involved a
portable electric generator, a fire permit, and all sorts of other potential
hazards.  We were also covered if some member of the general public happend on
our site and was injured.

The policy also includes miscellaneous coverages beyond what you would expect
from a general commercial liability policy.  If club members engage in some
activity which involves transportation by automobile and thereby causes injury
to a third party, our policy covers the club's own indirect liability.

If we hold any event at which alcohol is served, then the club itself is
covered for any resulting liability.  It may surprise you to know that it could
be argued that, if the club members make a practice of going to a bar for a few
beers after the meetings, then the club shares some liability for the actions
of its members as a result of consuming alcohol.

-- Mike