Old (?) News: CERT Advisories "dip" Re: CERT Advisories (fwd)

My apologies if this is really old news - I never saw it the first time around.
 I guess one could always unplug one's shoe in a real emergency, if one knew...

> CERT(sm) Advisory CA-96.13
> July 9, 1996
>
> Topic: Vulnerability in the dip program
>
> -
>
> The CERT Coordination Center has received several reports of exploitations of
> a vulnerability in the dip program on Linux systems. The dip program is
> shipped with most versions of the Linux system; and versions up to and
> including version 3.3.7n are vulnerable. An exploitation script for Linux
> running on X86-based hardware is publicly available. Although exploitation
> scripts for other architectures and operating systems have not yet been
found,
> we believe that they could be easily developed.
>
> The CERT Coordination Center recommends that you disable dip and re-enable it
> only after you have installed a new version. Section III below describes how
> to do that.
>
> As we receive additional information relating to this advisory, we
> will place it in
>
>         ftp://info.cert.org/pub/cert_advisories/CA-96.13.README
>
> We encourage you to check our README files regularly for updates on
> advisories that relate to your site.
>
> -
>
> I.   Description
>
>      dip is a freely available program that is included in most distributions
>      of Linux. It is possible to build it for and use it on other UNIX
systems.

>      The dip program manages the connections needed for dial-up links such
>      as SLIP and PPP. It can handle both incoming and outgoing connections.
>      To gain access to resources it needs to establish these IP connections,
>      the dip program must be installed as set-user-id root.
>
>      A vulnerability in dip makes it possible to overflow an internal buffer
>      whose value is under the control of the user of the dip program. If this
>      buffer is overflowed with the appropriate data, a program such as a
>      shell can be started. This program then runs with root permissions on
the
>      local machine.
>
>      Exploitation scripts for dip have been found running on Linux systems
for
>      X86 hardware. Although exploitation scripts for other architectures
>      and operating systems have not yet been found, we believe that they
could
>      be easily developed.
>
> II.  Impact
>
>      On a system that has dip installed as set-user-id root, anyone with
>      access to an account on that system can gain root access.
>
> III. Solution
>
>      Follow the steps in Section A to disable your currently installed
version
>      of dip. Then, if you need the functionality that dip provides, follow
the
>      steps given in Section B.
>
>      A.  Disable the presently installed version of dip.
>          As root,
>                 chmod 0755 /usr/sbin/dip

> [...]

Chuck Young				General Info: www.bbn.com
BBN Corporation				Specific inquiries/requests:
Network Operations Center		ops at bbnplanet.com (24hr-email)
150 CambridgePark Drive			1.800.632.7638 (24hr-phone)
M/S 20/2d, Cambridge, MA 02140		1.617.873.6351 (24hr-fax)