Installing X

>>Get the latest beta X server.
>

>Thanks for the responses, guys.
>
>Yep, this seems to be the best advice so far. I've been digging for info,
and remembered the XFree86 www site. The FAQ there mentions that Mach64
boards with a "CT" chip won't work, but it has been fixed in the latest beta
version. I'll assume mine has a CT chip from the Gateway designation,
although I haven't seen any mention of a CT chip in any doc.

>Just for the heck of it, I downloaded a free demo X server from Xinside. It
took _maybe_ five minutes to install and configure, and worked. So, let's
see I can spend days dicking around with reinstalling 3.1.2G and trying to
get X to work, OR spend 100 bucks for the Accelerated-X product. Hmmmm, I'm
seriously thiking about it.

Heck, I'll respond to my own host.

Got the new 3.1.2G Mach64 server. The non-ELF version didn't work because it
needed a lib, so I ftp'd the ELF version, and YES! it worked. Cool. Just
saved $100 .

Murph

Dan Murphy                 Email: murph at vmark.com
VMARK Software             Voice: 508-366-3888 x3213
Westboro, MA 01581         Fax:   508-366-3669