Intel EtherExpress Pro/10

In message <199611020411.XAA32539 at mailnfs0.tiac.net>, "Paul E. Ratty" writes:

>I have read a suggestion where I should move the card from one slot to
>another until it finds the right slot that matches the irq that it is
>looking for.
>
>Let me ask you this. If under win95, the card in located at irq=10, is it
>possible that the irq would be diferent under linux? If that is true, then
>how do I go about determining which slot is equal to which irq?

In general, the IRQ may be set by jumpers on the board, or using a ROM
BIOS routine enabled by some special keystroke during boot (watch the
screen or see the docs), or using DOS software supplied with the
board, or using the Plug-n-Play protocol.  It does NOT depend on which
slot you plug it into.  On a PC, all the slots are wired in parallel,
and moving cards from one slot to another makes no difference.

I suggest you check the card under win95, check its interrupt, then
use loadlin to boot Linux.  If Linux fails to recognize the card, try
again using the appropriate command line parameter.

Also, I note the following in the source code
(/usr/src/linux/drivers/net/eepro.c):

        Bugs:

        If you have a problem of not detecting the 82595 during a
        reboot (warm reset), disable the FLASH memory should fix it.
        This is a compatibility hardware problem.

I don't know about the flash memory, but I suppose you might disable
it using one of the above methods (jumper, BIOS pgm, DOS pgm, PnP).

For Plug-n-Play, take a look at isapnptools-1.8.tgz from ftp.redhat.com
(find it with http://ftpsearch.unit.no/ftpsearch).

                       - Jim Van Zandt