FW: Question concerning PartitionMagic 3.0

>>Thank you for your interest in PartitionMagic.  I'm sorry to say, but the
>>3.0 will not have support for Linux.

PartitionMagic has been extremely useful in resizing and moving my DOS,
Win95, and OS/2 partitions.  Since it doesn't support Linux, how do I go
about moving or resizing my ext2 partition ("Running Linux" has not been
helpful in this regard)?  Are the following basic steps correct?

1.  TAR the whole directory structure...  Do I have to boot from a floppy
so that no hard disk files are open?  Obviously, I'll need to format and
mount a temporary partition that's large enough to hold this huge tar file.

2.  Fdisk and format the new partition that I want to move to (this may
involve destroying the original partition).

3.  Un-tar from the temporary partition to the new partition.

4.  Fix up LILO to point correctly to the new partition.

Does this sound about right?  Inquiring newbie wants to know.

-- Bosco So

PS:  I seem to recall reading somewhere that tar files do not contain error
correction/detection information.  So if the huge tar file that I made in
step #1 is corrupt, and I whack the original  partition in step #2, then
I'm in deep doo-doo, right?  Will gzip compression add verification info?
If so, can I tune the compression ratio way low so I don't take any
performance hits?