mounting CD's

I'm having a problem mounting my CD-ROM after I change a CD in the carrier.

Breakdown of events using Infomagic CD set :

1. I boot with a CD in the carrier, machine boots OK, recognizes the CD,
sees there's a disk in it, and mounts it to /cdrom. I can read the CD fine.

2. With the _same_ CD in the carrier, I can mount and umount fine by entering:

   mount /dev/hdc
   umount /dev/hdc

   I can do this repetitively no prob.

3. Now for the problem.

   After a umount, I put in a different CD, and do a "mount /dev/hdc" again.
I get:

   "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hdc"

4. Subsequent mount requests generate this msg:

   "/dev/hdc already mounted or /cdrom busy"

   Well, it's definitely not mounted and I don't see where /cdrom is busy.

   At this point, I can't do anything with the drive and have to reboot to
use it again. The CD itself is fine, because when I boot with it in the
carrier, it gets mounted fine and I can read it.

kernel = 1.2.13 from Slackware 3.0 -  Infomagic Developer's resource April '96

The CD-ROM drive is on a Gateway P5/133 and the doc says the drive is a
Wearnes 8X EIDE

Now, I am _not_ a unix guy (actually a mainframer), so this could be a
really stupid question and I apologize if so. I checked the FAQ and the
CDROM how-to, then thought I'd try youze guys.

TIA,

Murph

Dan Murphy                 Email: murph at vmark.com
VMARK Software             Voice: 508-366-3888 x3213
Westboro, MA 01581         Fax:   508-366-3669