mounting CD's

In message <9611082101.AA20358 at mother.vmark.com>, Dan Murphy writes:
>I'm having a problem mounting my CD-ROM after I change a CD in the carrier.
>
>Breakdown of events using Infomagic CD set :
>
>1. I boot with a CD in the carrier, machine boots OK, recognizes the CD,
>sees there's a disk in it, and mounts it to /cdrom. I can read the CD fine.
>
>2. With the _same_ CD in the carrier, I can mount and umount fine by entering:
>
>   mount /dev/hdc
>   umount /dev/hdc
>
>   I can do this repetitively no prob.
>
>3. Now for the problem.
>
>   After a umount, I put in a different CD, and do a "mount /dev/hdc" again.
>I get:
>
>   "wrong fs type or bad superblock on /dev/hdc"
>
>4. Subsequent mount requests generate this msg:
>
>   "/dev/hdc already mounted or /cdrom busy"
>
>   Well, it's definitely not mounted and I don't see where /cdrom is busy.

I have found that, in general, you cannot trust the explanations printed
by mount.

A mount command normally requires not only a device but also a mount
point and a filesystem.  If any of these is missing, mount will consult
/etc/fstab.

I suggest you try specifying everything:

        mount -tiso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom

If this works, then add a line like the following to /etc/fstab

        /dev/hdc     /cdrom   iso9660 noauto,defaults,user,exec   0  0

                                      - Jim Van Zandt