mailing list

draftsman at juno.com writes:
> It sounds good, but can one attend just to observe? I haven't received my
> disk yet (from a generous user) so I don't know how successful I'll be.
> I'm not even clear as what to expect once it is installed. I've been a
> DOS/Windows user, much to my embarrassment, and I have installed OS/2
> Warp just to see how it interacts..

No, I don't think we can support observers. This is the first time we're
doing anything like this, and we're trying to keep the event as simple as
we can. The room we rented is adequate for 25 people with their machines,
but it would be far too crowded if a bunch of extra people showed up, for
whatever reason. Also, I'd be concerned that the added distraction would
detract from the value of the class to the people who paid.

As far as observing an installation, we'll probably devote one of our
regular Wednesday meetings to this, as we did last year. I'll bring this
up at our next planning meeting.

> Is there at least an existing video available to see what I may be in
> for? My comrads all prey to Bill Gates and I'm the rebel...the word UNIX
> makes them cringe. But I think a wise career move is still the UNIX way,
> at least thats how I interpret the Boston Globe...besides the worldwide
> support it has.

I can't disagree with this; I feel that Open Systems are the way to go,
and that Linux today is in the same place that MSDOS was in the early '80s,
coming into many corporations through the back door.

I recall a video tutorial on Installing Linux; you can probably find it in
the SSC catalog, or on their web site at www.ssc.com. These are the folks
that publish Linux Journal. I've never watched the video, so I can't comment
on how good it is; but I imagine it's worth a look.

John Abreau :: Unix Systems Administrator :: jabr at necx.com
NECX :: 4 Technology Drive :: Peabody, MA 01960 :: 508-538-8425
Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix - jabr at blu.org - http://www.blu.org