calling for agenda items... [rev 1]

> I think that what I'm driving at is: is signet set up with a board that is
> in effect an establishment that cannot be changed significantly, or is it
> set up so that significant changes could take place if the membership wanted
> it?
I think we need to define membership. SigNet.org, Inc. is organized very specifically around the user groups. Each user group has one vote. The managing board is the group that has the power in the organization, and this is designed to be dominated by the user groups. The BoD is in effect a legal figurehead. The BoD has never met in a separate meeting. We deliberately intend to keep the BoD small so that it can be effective. Large BoDs, such as the BCS BoD, becomes unworkable. Basically, the focus of the BoD is to have people that get things done.

As I mentioned before, individual members of SigNet.org, Inc. do not vote. They are in effect customers who receive certain services delivered by the corporation and its user groups. Under 501c(6), we do need to be careful in how we deliver services for members so that we cannot be forced to be a for-profit.
Anyhow, I will try to bring a copy of the bylaws to the meeting tonight. I think I have a complete copy online.
Jerry Feldman            Digital Unix Development Environment
Digital Equipment Corp.  (work)gaf at zk3.dec.com (home)gaf at highway1.com
110 Spitbrook Rd.        Mailstop: ZKO3-2/W17
Nashua, NH 03062-9987    (603)881-2970, DTN:381-2970