show last weekend

On Feb 5, 12:54pm, Rodney Thayer wrote:

> In case anyone else forgets to keep an eye out for those Saturday computer
> shows, there's one this weekend in Methuen.

>-- End of excerpt from Rodney Thayer

Hi guys,

I haven't been to a meeting since I started working second shift and Satur-days
last August (I miss the beer at CBC too!), but I saw Rodney's post and have a
question or two.  I want to buy an intell-ish system and have found that nobody
selling hardware understands what makes a board, a chip, and O/S *really* hum
together, especially when it comes to running linux.

I need advice on boards and chips.  I am considering an Asus board
(P/I-P55TVP4) with an Intel Pentium 133 (possibly MMX) and 512 cache / 32Mb of
60ns RAM, but no one has the guts to say "no performance hit with linux using
this board over an Intel board" and there are *several* intel boards (with HX
and VX based chipsets - which are also available on many "bargain-brand"
boards)  Has anyone used an Asus board?  What about the Cyrix 686 family of
chips? Any problems?  Good experiences?  I'm only running linux and W95.

This could fill a book, I know.  But what is a guy to do...just reach in and
grab one - or buy an intel board and chip out of fear?  I have an ISDN line
ready to go, free connectivity through work and holiday cash still burning a
hole in my pocket!

I can read most of a schematic and compile a little C code, but I am
essentially lost with all the marketing hogwash.  I could use any suggestions
you folks might have.  (For you Digital guys, my next system will be an alpha,
but I have to hand down my old stuff to my 8-year-old.)

I would appreciate any help at all.

-- Chuck

BBN customer replies and inquiries should be mailed to OPS at BBNPLANET.COM
or discussed at 800-632-7638.  Those facilities are staffed 24 hours a day
and 7 days a week, whereas private email and voicemail, like mine, are not.
Chuck Young				General Info: http://www.bbn.com
BBN Corporation				Specific inquiries or requests:
Network Operations Center		ops at bbnplanet.com (24hr-email)
150 CambridgePark Drive			1.800.632.7638 (24hr-phone)
M/S 20/2d, Cambridge, MA 02140		1.617.873.6351 (24hr-facsimile)