NFS Windows/Linux

SAMBA, Linux, Windows95...

There are a few things that need to be right...

  Client for Microsoft Networks has to be installed and configured
   on the W95 end.

  TCP/IP should be configured as the "default protocol" on the W95
   end.

  Tell W95 that it wants to use WINS name resolution. Give it the
   address of your Linux box as the name server.

  Make sure that your linux box has set at least one of its shares
   as browsable.

If you want me to pop by and help you get it right, talk to me.

Here's the full scoop on my home rig:

  My Linux box uses IP aliasing. eth0 is my home network with a
  bogus address of 222.222.222.1. eth0:0 is dummied up to fake out
  my wife's laptop with address 15.22.49.20. Using the samba 1.9.16p2
  configuration file, I'm able to serve on both networks and my wife
  doesn't have to hack up her network config to use our home printer.

  Our Win95 desktop machine sits at 222.222.222.4. Because it is configed
  with both TCP/IP and NETBEUI, it can see the desktop machine *and*
  my wifes laptop with the alien addresses.

  Is there more? Yes. I carry a linux laptop. It has a PCMCIA ethernet
  card. It too is multihomed. eth0 is configed for home, eth0:0 is
  configed for the network at my current client's shop. In either place
  I connect the wire, flip up the screen (resume) and we're ready to
  rip.

Now for real fun...

We're doing a Java project. The java hacks are using Win95 and Visual
Cafe. The source code is managed by CVS on a SCO box. We do the
production compiles on the SCO box. How are we going to handle
production grade CM if we've got all this code that needs to be
compiled on Windog?

	*LINUX*

Everybody doing Win95 Java work gets a sandbox on the Linux box.
We export the sandboxes to the W95 stations using SAMBA.  When it's
time to check in the code, either pop up a telnet window to run CVS
from the linux box or use the Win95 CVS client in the remote-mounted
sandbox. Compiles?  We'd love to do the compiles on SCO (yeah, right),
but we can't because there's no 1.0.2 JDK for SCO (anymore). So
we got Randy Chapman's Linux port of the JDK and we use Linux for the
compiles.

This place has been a long time Novell shop. Linux is being very
well received. Serious talk about dumping Novell has started to
circulate. All with the help of RSM, Linus, and a cast of thousands...

chasb

-----
Charles C. Bennett, Jr.				chasb at kukla.tiac.net
Journeyman UNIX Toolsmith			http://www.tiac.net/users/chasb
    C, C++, OOA, OOD, perl, ksh, HTML, PostScript, make, RCS, tcl/Tk, admin
          --- if you're not running Linux, you paid too much ---