Red Hat 4.1 ftp install problem: ethernet

I have done several ftp installs with supported hardware.  They were a breeze!
 Now, I am trying to load this distribution onto a Digital Multia P-100 which
has a 21040-AA ethernet card on board.  I found "tulip" drivers, but I am in
terra incognita here.  Should I compile a kernel with this driver and replace
the install kernel on the boot disk?  Can/should this be done?  I had thought
of installing an older version where I had more choices in boot images, but
this seems suboptimal.

You folks have been very helpful (and tolerant, I might add) in the past...Any
suggestions on a good way to proceed?

--Chuck Young