netscape installations

On Sun, 6 Apr 1997 msoule at ix.netcom.com wrote:

> ok - lar's "running linux" says to ftp.netscape.com and download a
> binary.  I was unable to download the binary.  any ideas?  how about the
> extension being the culpruit? gzip-1.2.4 i586-unknown-linux when dos is
> looking for the .*** extension?
>
> 						mark j. soule

If you're using DOS to ftp the Linux binaries, then the extension will
indeed be a problem. The assumption on Netscape's site is that if you're
downloading the Linux binary, then you must be connecting from Linux.
You'll notice that the files in the "windows" directory on Netscape's site
all fit within the DOS 8.3 filename limitations.

Traditional ftp allows you to rename a file as you copy it; perhaps your
DOS ftp client will do the same. In "normal" ftp, you'd issue the command

    get foo.bar.2.0.5.tar.gz foobar.tgz

This would retrieve the file "foo.bar.2.0.5.tar.gz" from the ftp server
and store it locally on your PC with the filename "foobar.tgz". Note that
this differs from the "mget" command, which retrieves multiple files but
does not allow you to rename them locally as part of the ftp command.

--
John Abreau :: Executive Director, Boston Linux & Unix :: jabr at blu.org
10 Gainesborough Street, Boston MA 02115 :: 617-321-1104 :: http://www.blu.org