2nd hard drive for Linux

Tom and Anne wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

>BTW: Don't use the OS2 dual boot manager. One person who was at the
>installfest today had that set up, and the boot manager refused to
>boot from the linux partition. We had to boot from floppy.

 TaA> I've never seen any problems with any system that used
 TaA> OS/2's Boot Manager. What exactly do you mean "boot from the
 TaA> Linux partition"...I'm assuming that you mean it would not
 TaA> boot the Linux partition from the menu?  Strange. The only
 TaA> oddness I know of is if you use the boot manager it is best
 TaA> to install it *after* any MS OSes.  Just leave 1Meg of free
 TaA> space at the beginning of your first drive.

It is easy to fix if a Microsoft operating system is installed after Boot
Manager.  All Microsoft operating systems will strip the "active" flag (what
OS/2 terms the "startable" flag) from the Boot Manager partition and grab the
flag for themselves.  To fix this, just run FDISK and move the "active" (or
"startable") flag back to the Boot Manager partition.  Once you can boot OS/2
again, run OS/2 FDISK to add the new operating system to the Boot Manager menu.

-- Mike