Diamond Stealth 2500

Hi,

I feel a bit silly answering my own questions (regarding the Stealth
2500 video card), but here it is.

The Stealth 2500 uses the ProMotion (AT24) chip from Alliance
Semiconductor.  It turns out that Alliance has a XFree SVGA driver
available for downloading at their website:

http://www.alsc.com/ProMotion/support/index.shtml

or

ftp://ftp.best.com/pub/pai/FTP_site/lhadrivers/linux10.exe

The file (linux10.exe) turns out to be a DOS executable
self-extracting archive, but the files can be extracting using lharc
(so you don't have to go into DOS).  Extracting the files gives you
the readme file, the license agreement, and a shell script that
installs the replacement SVGA driver.  The driver is for XFree 3.1.2.
I was unable to get it to work with XFree 3.2 or 3.2A.  I am happy to
report that the problem reported earlier seems to have gone away.  I
ran "ico -faces" for a while, and then "xlock -mode random" all night,
and the machine did not crash.  There are still some strange short
horizontal lines segments that show up on the screen, but it is a big
improvement over having the machine freeze up completely.

Anyway, if anyone is thinking about getting the Diamond Multimedia
Stealth 2500, now you know what to do.

Sidney Li
lih at polaroid.com