Hello,

El Phantasmo wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 EP>    f) I am looking into buying a new 15" to 17" monitor and
 EP> graphics       card to replace my unfriendly dell and STB
 EP> combination which       re-enders (er spelling) and
 EP> incredible 8 colors or so when running       X-windows... so
 EP> I would like some suggestions about what companies       and
 EP> makes you have found to be very X-Friendly. STB systems
 EP> response       was "We dont care that it doesnt work for
 EP> Linux, run windows        95 and it will work. Or send us
 EP> $200 dollars and your card for        a new 3d effects
 EP> card." Don't recommend anyone using STB products.

I find STB's response disappointing, but they use fairly standard chipsets
which should have X/Windows drivers available.  For example, the Powergraph
64V+, which is a nice card, uses an S3 86C765.  If you give some more details
about the card, maybe we could help.

Another cheap option is to use Metro-X instead of XFree86, which comes on the
InfoMagic Linux Developer Resource CD-ROM package.

-- Mike