http message

Jerry Feldman wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

> Has anyone seen this error before?
> bind: address already in use
> httpd: could not bind to port 80

 JF> The hpptd daemon binds to port (listens) on port (eg.
 JF> socket) 80. If  another program has already grabbed that
 JF> port, then you would see that  message. Are you running more
 JF> than 1 http daemon, such as Apache ???

By far the most likely scenario is that inetd is running, and inetd.conf lists
port 80 as one of those listened on by the super server.  Either inetd.conf
should be modified so that it correctly starts the real http server, or
inetd.conf should be modified so that inetd has no responsibility for port 80.

-- Mike