LOCAL - Boston, MA - 11/19/97 - Boston Linux & Unix Group [BLU.ORG]

Meeting Topic for November:  "An Introduction to JavaScript Programming"

                     Date: 19 November 1997, Wednesday
                     Time: 7:00 p.m.
                     Place: M.I.T. Building 3-133

Presented by:

James B. Rush <jrush at world.std.com>

James Rush will be presenting an introduction to JavaScript
Programming.  Among the topics to be illustrated will be client-side
web programming.

This scripting language, developed by Netscape and Sun Microsystems,
is simpler than regular Java.  JavaScript can be used to control web
browser behavior, add dynamically created text to web pages, interact
with users through HTML forms, and even control and interact with
Java applets and Navigator plugins.

Among the topics to be covered:

- -> What is JavaScript?
- -> What can it do?  Can't it do?
- -> Creating and calling functions.
- -> Client side form checking vs server side form checking.
- -> Image manipulation.

He has been the Polaroid intranet web master for two years and was a
software developer prior to that.  He has been writing in
Java/javascript for two years and perl for about a year.

The Boston Linux & Unix Group [BLU.ORG], is the successor to the Boston
Computer Society's Linux & Unix User Group. We want to promote the
awareness and use of Open Systems, and to educate the public and our
members about Open Systems.

Linux is a UNIX-like operating system built around POSIX standards.
- From its inception less than six years ago, it was developed over the
Internet by a group of people who (for the most part) have never seen
each other, and now runs on an (estimated) 1,000,000 computer systems.
The operating system (and the source code for it) is free to anyone
who wants it. It has been ported to at least the following platforms:
Intel, SPARC, Alpha, MIPS, PPC, and M68K. This is probably the largest
development project ever accomplished using the Internet.

     For the latest information on this talk, please see the URL:

For a map showing where the meeting hall is located, please see the URL: