Meeting Reminder - 11/19/97 (Wed.) - Intro to JavaScript - [BLU.ORG]

Don't Forget! -- Hope to See You Wednesday!

Subject: LOCAL - Boston,MA - 11/19/97 - Intro to JavaScript - [BLU.ORG]

Meeting Topic for November:  "An Introduction to JavaScript Programming"

                     Date: 19 November 1997, Wednesday
                     Time: 7:00 p.m.
                     Place: M.I.T. Building 3-133
				   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Presented by:	James B. Rush <jrush at world.std.com>

James Rush will be presenting an introduction to JavaScript
Programming.  Among the topics to be illustrated will be client-side
web programming.

This scripting language, developed by Netscape and Sun Microsystems,
is simpler than regular Java.  JavaScript can be used to control web
browser behavior, add dynamically created text to web pages, interact
with users through HTML forms, and even control and interact with
Java applets and Navigator plugins.

Among the topics to be covered:

-> What is JavaScript?
-> What can it do?  Can't it do?
-> Creating and calling functions.
-> Client side form checking vs server side form checking.
-> Image manipulation.

James Rush has been the Polaroid intranet web master for two years
and was a software developer prior to that.  He has been writing in
Java/javascript for two years and perl for about a year.

The Boston Linux & Unix Group [BLU.ORG], is the successor to the Boston
Computer Society's Linux & Unix User Group. We want to promote the
awareness and use of Open Systems, and to educate the public and our
members about Open Systems.

     For the latest information on this talk, please see the URL:

For a map showing where the meeting hall is located, please see the URL:

Guy W. Bzibziak		- Boston Linux & Unix 		- BLU.ORG
<guybz at world.std.com>  	  Astor Station		  http://www.blu.org
		  	  P. O. Box 230040
		  	  Boston, MA 02123-0040
PGP Fingerprint:  9C 86 CA 11 14 95 9E 99  E5 C9 25 7D 6F 8F F7 82
Voice# (Days Only): 617-536-5200     FAX# (Days Only): 617-536-0394