Reliable version?

Jerry wrote:
> I rebuilt the former BCS web server yesterday with red Hat 4.0...

Don't have an answer about your Red Hat installation, but I have a
query about stabilizing my system.  It's been running stable for the
year since I set it up from the WGS Linux Pro CD version 4.0.  Then a
few weeks ago (recall my posts on this list) I built a 2.0.31 kernel
to support IP masquerading.  The 1.2.13 kernel never crashed; the new
one crashes about once a week, with a constantly repeating error
message on the console (unfortunately it doesn't log anywhere and I
don't remember it now--last crash was 11 days ago).

Should I bag my old installation and overhaul it with a new distribution, or
should I take the time to figure out what's wrong with this setup?  Or should
I just go to one of the 2.1 experimental kernels?  If so, which is the most
stable version folks here have experience with?

This is my private system and gets almost no traffic, as compared to the
heavily-bombarded ISP systems I built at Pioneer Global.  I'm about to write
up another posting about those...

-rich